Sunday, 31 August 2014

August's Crafter's Companion Challenge - All About School

So, cutting it fine to enter, but here's my entry for the August Challenge at Crafter's Companion - All About School.  I have made a set of three pencil pots which I have photographed with a few of my crafting items in.  They will however, be on my desk at school from Tuesday (I am a Teacher!)

I used this month's download: 'Crafting With Kids' from the Crafter's Companion website.  I printed it off onto Crafters Companion Satin Finish Printer Paper.  (I used the paper rather than Neenah card as paper is much easier to use to wrap the tins.)  It was all printed at 100% apart from the three words on the third tin which I copied and pasted into Word to make them bigger. 

I used three empty dog food tins which had the ring pull openers on them.  This means that there isn't a sharp edge like you get using a can opener!  I cut the papers to 9.8cm wide.  (An A4 sheet is big enough to get two strips to cover two tins.)  I wrapped Crafters Companion Red Liner Tape 6mm around the top and bottom of the tin and then went over it with a glue stick (this allows you some play to move the paper if needed.  It's then permanent when the glue stick dries.)  I covered all three tins like this with two different papers.

On the first tin I used the red spotty paper ribbon and the alphabet paper ribbon. I cut these out and then cut the red spotty one in half length ways.  I glued them onto the tin with the red spotty paper ribbon framing the alphabet one. 

On the second tin I made a rosette using Tim Holtz's 'Decorative Strip' die from Sizzix.  I used the other half of the stripy and dotty ribbon paper that I covered the tin in.  I then used a spotty purple button to finish it off with.  I tied some embroidery thread through the button before I stuck it down as I don't like to use buttons without thread through them as I always think it looks unfinished!  I used Collall 3D Glue Gel to stick the rosette together and onto the tin.

On the third tin I used the wide paper ribbon made up of six thin strips. I cut it into three so each section had two colours on it.  I wrapped these around the tin, evenly spacing them.  I mounted the words onto white with a 1/16" border using my Perfect Layer rulers.  I then stuck these onto the middle of each paper ribbon on the tin again using the Collall Glue Gel.


Thanks for stopping by! I hope you like them, if you do please feel free to leave a comment!

August's Clarity Challenge - Feminine

Hi all!  Not feeling overly inspired today being jet lagged post my return flight from Canada after going to see my sister who lives out there.  Nevertheless, I have attempted the Clarity Challenge this afternoon.  'Feminine' is the theme and I don't think I have any particularly feminine themed stamps from Clarity (although I have many other Clarity stamps!) I decided to use the  Love Is In The Air Clear Stamp Kit.

I used Theuva card and distress reinkers to make the background using the shaving foam technique that Barbara has demoed recently on her blog.  I used the Mountains and Hills Mask and the Moons Masks to section off the areas before applying the shaving foam.  I then stamped the little girl and the hearts foliage in black archival.  I added a couple of swallows from Remountable Birdhouse Garden Set Of Clear Stamps.

I matted and layered onto matt black card and then pink centura pearl.  I thought the pink gave it a more feminine edge!  I used my perfect layers to mat and layer - I love these tools and wouldn't be without them now - perfect everytime!

Thursday, 7 August 2014

More Clarity Stencils

Hi all,

Here's a quick card that I made for my sister using the beautiful Chrysanthemum Stencil.

I used the 7x7 Gelli card and taped the stencil on with low tack masking tape.  I then used the Clarity stencil brushes and two distress inks: Fired Brick and Squeezed Lemonade.  I used the Fired Brick working out from the corner and working more heavily in the corner.  I worked to the middle of the flower and then introduced the Squeezed Lemonade from the outer edge of the petals and slightly over the middle area.  This gave a tonal effect to the flower.

I matted the piece after slightly trimming it down onto some matching glitter card.  I then layered it onto a white card blank.  I finally added white organza ribbon to the spine of the card.

Really pleased...

Really pleased...I made top 3 at the Crafter's Companion July Challenge! This was for the card in the post below.
For the other winners click here!  Congratulations to the others and everyone who took part.  I am currently thinking about what I will do for their August challenge!
I will be back later today with some new cards!  Bye for now!